It destroys hope, and it violates the principle that redemption is at the essence of what it is to be human. POOR: Yeah, not skewed, not skewed. And then the question is, well, what do we do about that? What we did was humanize [prisoners], just by telling their stories, Woods said in February. I'm not doing that. It was - and it's not just her. Poor, a professor of photography at CSU Sacramento, was volunteering with the Prison University Project at San Quentin State Prison when she met Woods, who was serving a 31-year-to-life sentence. I got out, stayed out two years, 10 months and found myself back in jail for attempted second-degree robbery. [5][15] In 2020, alongside Poor and co-host Rahsaan Thomas, Woods was a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize for Audio Reporting. He does not, however, expose his wife's identity to the public. E WOODS: I think the mentality is more of crime to you is a job. Earlonne is busy reporting on re-entry stories and daily life for originally incarcerated people, while also documenting his own experiences. Should we recognize the change, or once you did the act, that's who you are - your essence, your identity - and never to be considered? That was something that was volunteered to me. And as they questioned the driver, the passenger officer seen tattoos and Tyler's face and started questioning him, made him get out the car. In fact, when I walk through the yard, one of the things I really like is that people make eye contact. And I think that's a shared philosophy with everybody that's in prison - is that you have to just deal with what's going on today, you know, and just not let the pressures of prison just get to your core and crush you. A person can get certain - a certain amount of time for the crime that they commit. POOR: Oh, plus, I - we get to see each other in all different color clothing because POOR: In prison, Earlonne always had to wear blue. And when I went to prison, it was pretty much the California Department of Corrections, and there was not a rehabilitation on the name then. We will update you once we have more information about Earlonnes marital status. And so when people listen to this story, that's what I want them to take away, that here's this person who is in a difficult situation. GROSS: So Tyler's father, your brother, is still in San Quentin during the final year that you were in San Quentin. And so to me, that meant he was a very good observer. It received 1,537 entries from 53 countries. And they open fired on him. But I always go over to the fantasy game guys, and I'll just sit there for a minute and try to see if I even come close to understanding what's going on on that table. Once you commit your crime, people think thats what it is, but individuals change. So right now there would be a problem with me going back to see him because I'm currently on parole. Like, what - why were we on this path, you know? GROSS: So can I ask you an honest question? POOR: Earlonne described himself, and I described myself. Earlonne became busy reporting on re-entry stories and daily life for originally incarcerated people, while also documenting his own experiences. We can go to a restaurant. Woods, 47, was recently released from San Quentin State Prison after California Gov. Everybody we know live the same lifestyle, you know? Woods was unaware his two convictions as a juvenile counted as two 'strikes', which made his conviction at 25 count as his third under California's three strikes law. Woods learned of his commutation the day before Thanksgiving. This lady - her name was Claire. And he said Tyler got killed by the police. This is what we work for because there comes a moment in every person in prison's life where the light switch go on. [1][10] As of Season 4, Woods continues to make the podcast from outside prison, while Rahsaan "New York" Thomas was announced as a new co-host for recordings done inside San Quentin. So I've technically only been free 20 years in my life, and, since I was 17, I've been free maybe three years all together. I was questioning everything. I don't know if it's a lake. And it was very hard for that to not change the way I felt about him. Shes holding on. co-hosted by Woods and Nigel Poor, an artist and volunteer at San Quentin interviews men in the prison about their lives there. GROSS: Are you going to go back and visit him? I was hoping I could talk to you a little bit about it. If you're just joining us, my guests are Earlonne Woods and Nigel Poor, the co-hosts and co-producers of the podcast Ear Hustle, which features interviews with men incarcerated in San Quentin Prison about their daily lives and their personal stories. Jerry Brown commuted his 31-years-to-life . You know, he was - you know, I even - I'm talking to him all the time. I probably was like 14. Through his podcast, [Woods] has shared meaningful stories from those inside prison.. I'm Terry Gross. Woods said that the show chose the topic of cellmates for its first episode to ensure the show was relatable, since most people can relate to having a bad roommate. Earlonne holds an American nationality and white ethnicity. And that was one of the things that I appreciated about Jerry Brown - especially everything he said in that clip that you played is the way people inside think. The sound was recorded because he's the co-host and co-producer of the podcast Ear Hustle, which features interviews with San Quentin inmates talking about daily life there, things like living with a cellmate in a tiny cell, what it's like to be in solitary confinement, the heartbreak of being a parent separated from your child, how everything inside is separated by race and so on. Kourtney Kellar models for a variety of periodicals, companies, Toni Storm is a famous New Zealand-Australian wrestler, social media influencer, Instagram personality, OnlyFans star, and entrepreneur from Auckland, New Zealand. So it be at prison, I'm going to enjoy my day every day because at the end of the day, this is all I got, you know? And I have a lot of friends that's in prison that has 200 years, 300 years to life for maybe attempted second-degree robbery. POOR: Well, let me ask you this - do you feel like we're being unfair trying to make you do this? He is a podcast host correspondent. You - you - you always feel that you're better than getting killed, like you would never get killed. And my mindset, regardless of where I'm at, I'm going to live to the best of my ability. He is also involved in the Repeal California's Three Strike Coalition, which aims to end California . He and Nigel also co-wrote This Is Ear Hustle: Unflinching Stories of Everyday Prison Life, a book inspired by the podcast and published by Crown/Random House. Earlonne became preoccupied with reporting on re-entry stories and daily life for people who had previously been incarcerated, as well as documenting his own experiences. It focuses on both the personal and the political, shedding light on issues of mass incarceration and the criminal justice system by telling intimate, humanizing stories, like the tale of one inmates obsession with keeping small critters as pets in his cell or anothers struggle to be intimate with his wife while behind bars. Namcy Wong. Earlonne Woods (@earlonnewoods) Instagram photos and videos earlonnewoods Follow 225 posts 24.1K followers 931 following Earlonne Woods Public figure Award winning Co-Creator + Co-Host, @earhustlesq . E WOODS: Yeah, so that's cool. Earlonnes estimated net worth is $657,586. He received a sentence of 31-years-to-life. You know, prison, I'm going to live to the best of my ability. In 1997, Earlonne was sentenced to thirty-one years to life in prison. [3], Woods met artist and volunteer Nigel Poor, who was teaching photography at the film school. POOR: You can't blend into what the guys inside wear. What was your reaction when you found out? WOODSON: I used to work for the captain at CIW in the program office. Others are typical and comfortable, never rising to celebrity status but supplying its partners with a contented existence. Woods was involved in an attempted robbery in 1997, when he was in his 20s. Earlonne Woods is the cocreator, coproducer, and cohost of the Pulitzer-nominated podcast Ear Hustle. My guests are Earlonne Woods and Nigel Poor, the co-creators of Ear Hustle, a podcast featuring their interviews with men incarcerated in San Quentin. It's like - I think they're not under the constraints or the pressures to not accept people. GROSS: And that was because - you got such a long sentence because one crime had you convicted on two counts, so that counted as two strikes. And I got out in '95. GROSS: We talk about the podcast and before we talk about your work together, Earlonne, I want to talk with you about life outside. POOR: And it's going to be a little bit hard. And when I was sitting in a county jail, you know, mentally, I pretty much divorced myself from that whole way of life in that moment, you know? It was the first podcast to be entirely created and produced inside a prison. Who is Kourtney Kellar? You know, they get to see each other in passing. She'll continue to do interviews inside San Quentin. Eventually, the marriage fell apart. GROSS: And you chose Earlonne. Here you guys are, poking and - poking and prodding. California Gov. The responding officers shot him five times, killed him. After 21 years in prison, Governor Brown the great governor of California decided that I served enough time, Woods said in the latest episode of Ear Hustle. I pretty much raised Tyler from '95 to '97, when I got arrested. It's a job. And so to hear this is what happened to him - ah. --. E WOODS: So I think that goes into, like, what they call politics in prison and where, you know, you may have certain prisons that it matters what you're in prison for like - and it's a difference on a race level. I'll say I've - on the second term - so the first term is where I did all the solitary stuff. Usually, you can't go back into a correctional facility on parole. [11], By September 2021, Ear Hustle episodes had been downloaded over 54 million times. Look. He and Nigel are also the authors of This Is Ear Hustle: Unflinching Stories of Everyday Prison Life, a book that became inspired by the podcast and released by Crown/Random House. The rest of it is just an enhancement. This is FRESH AIR. So Earlonne, let me ask you about ways you think you've changed since you were a teenager and were first put in prison. But to hear the very next day that he was killed - and my mother is who told me. . GROSS: This is FRESH AIR. He also founded CHOOSE1, which aims to repeal the California . Copyright 2018 NPR. In an op-ed for the Los Angeles Times, Lexi Mainland wrote "The runaway hit Ear Hustle never takes a broad look at criminal justice policy or employs Voice of God narration. I go over to Nigel's house, hang out with her husband Rick. [9], In a Rolling Stone article about the show, Tana Ganeva called it "a fascinating, harrowing and also deeply entertaining look into life on the inside that runs the full gamut of emotions. But that was a case that challenged my desire to not know and to - how to deal with the knowing once it's been presented to you. And he's standing in a group. POOR: I don't ask unless it comes up as part of the story. Jerry Brown. Earlonne Woods is a popular American podcaster. What are some of the ways you think you've changed over the years? You know that it could be a possibility, but it's a possibility that you've seen pretty much your whole life, you know? And I want to play what he said to you. But it was just - it was spectacular. Woods helped create Ear Hustle while incarcerated at San Quentin State Prison. So you become accustomed to that lifestyle. I was on some - I would like to say other words, but I'm holding my (laughter) E WOODS: (Laughter) I'm on the radio. Since the podcasts launch in 2017, its been downloaded millions of times, featured in media outlets from NPR to The New York Times, and made several best of podcast rankings. There's all these restrictions. (SOUNDBITE OF ETIENNE CHARLES' "MIDNIGHT"). But, as to being cool with it, it's what it is. GROSS: Tomorrow on FRESH AIR, my guest will be writer Sigrid Nunez. [5] The show features interviews with inmates who share their stories and opinions on topics like cellmates, solitary confinement, race, morality, pets, religion, gangs, and family. . This text may not be in its final form and may be updated or revised in the future. You start really understanding what the word community means and what your participation in community is about, you know? They surrounded Tyler around a - at a apartment building, where he was trying to climb up to the roof. And Jerry Brown was then the governor of California. Woods' sentence was recently commuted, but the two continue to tell stories of life. Earlonne Woods was born and raised in South Central Los Angeles. So sometimes it's important, and I can give you an example. A post shared by @earhustlesq on Mar 13, 2018 at 8:35pm PDT. And the assumption is that what you did at that moment is what you are today even though it's five years, 10 years, 20, 30 years later. This is FRESH AIR. Earlonne is busy reporting on re-entry stories and daily life for people who were previously incarcerated, as well as documenting his own experiences. GROSS: So you know, you're a middle-aged man now. POOR: While you're thinking, can I tell you some of the things that are just going through my mind about it? So now we can actually do that and even POOR: Hopefully go to other countries, too. And, like a lot of inmates, he's been thinking about this moment for a long time. And then when I got out, I hadn't put any skill sets together, you know? It looked so good on you. Jerry Brown (D) has commuted the prison sentence of Earlonne Woods, whose hit podcast Ear Hustle explores life inside San Quentin State Prison. POOR: What are some of the things you think about when you fantasize about your life when you're out? Vice President . Nigel is a professor of photography at Cal State. She first started working at San Quentin in 2011 as a volunteer in the Prison University Project, teaching the history of photography. And they say Tyler just took off running. GROSS: Nigel, let me bring you into the conversation. POOR: We can taste each other's food 'cause, you know, in prison you can't share food with people. Not at all. And the phone rang in the media lab. GROSS: So this gets back to something you were just saying. But he was released in November after his sentence was commuted by California Governor Jerry Brown. And it really wasn't until I got into the healing circle that I understood what it was like to be a survivor of crime because in these circles, you're sitting across from crime victims. And E WOODS: And of course I enjoy all the little moments. I took their security from them to even walk out the house and feel safe, you know? When I called my mother, she told me this, right? In 1997, Earlonne was sentenced to thirty-one years to life in prison. It was transformational symposiums. There's a story you did about how people like you from the outside who come in to volunteer - because you started at San Quentin volunteering teaching photography before you started doing the podcast Ear Hustle. Poor, a professor of photography at CSU Sacramento, was volunteering with the Prison University Project at San Quentin State Prison when she met Woods, who was serving a 31-year-to-life sentence. No, people get up to a thousand years to life for something that they've done in their past. And at the end of November, Governor Jerry Brown commuted his sentence. We get - I mean, it's - you know, it's - we're just E WOODS: You're able to go out now. Earlonne Woods annual salary is $61,244 on average. GROSS: And you thanked him for doing it. E WOODS: But I wouldn't have it no other way. E WOODS: In between prison - when I got out - Tyler had just been born in '94. GROSS: And Nigel, just as a person who's constantly interacting with inmates at San Quentin, do you want to know what they're incarcerated for, what crime they were convicted of? Earlonne stands at a height of 5 ft 7 in ( Approx1.7 m). While incarcerated, he received his GED, attended Coastline Community College, and completed many vocational programs. GROSS: And - so you interviewed him about commuting your sentence. GROSS: This is FRESH AIR. Ear Hustle was the first podcast to be created entirely inside a prison. So there's a rule that pertains to the volunteers who come in, and they're not allowed to have, like, close relationships with the prisoners, anything that gets really intimate or emotional. And to hear how it happened to him and to hear that he was shot 19 times, you know - and I just try to visualize, like, what he was going through at the time he was being shot at by those officers. Woods, 47, was recently released from San Quentin State Prison after California Gov. [5] Woods role on the podcast was well-received, with Sarah Larson from The New Yorker describing him as an "immediately warm and likable presence",[10] while Eddie Harana from Rolling Stone praised the sense of humor he brought to the show.
Anne Sawyer Actress Age, Tuhan Tak Pernah Janji Ayat Alkitab, Chesare Elan Bono, Google Office Apple, Articles E