Hi Michelle! Hello, this recipe looks amazing! When purchasing your box of angel food cake mix, flip it over and make sure the directions only require adding water. Add the cake mix, water, apple sauce and your preferred add-in and stir this until smooth. You'll add it to the egg whites. Follow baking directions on box. Cover with pie filling. Required fields are marked *. I was wondering if this recipe would work for a layer cake? Answer (1 of 6): In general, replacing water with milk does at least the following: * Introduces some fat, which makes the crumb slightly more delicate by shortening gluten strands. You'll want them mixed and all fluffed up. Lemon or Lime Juice. Add eggs, sour cream, and vanilla extract. Add 1/4- 1 cup sugar and flour to your cake mix. The last two times I made it, in the cooling process it came out of the pan. The no-cook version of the sauce, on the other hand, makes use of ready-made lemon pie filling and whipped topping for a fuss-free fix and old-fashioned results. A tube pan is really imperative for angel food cake to bake up properly. Due to the thick consistency, you may need to add a little more buttermilk than you would in a one-to-one substitution.) Lets do this! Crack eggs over an egg separator into a small bowl, then add the whites one-by-one into the mixing bowl. - The cake will rise a lot when baking. And without the fat, the cake is also lower in calories than say pound cakes, Preparation time: 10 minutes 30 minutes in the oven. Angel food cake, despite its incredible flavor, is a fairly easy treat to prepare and serve.Its created using pantry staples such as flour, sugar, and egg whites, and it serves as a beautiful canvas for whatever toppings you choose to add.Your ordinary dessert may be transformed into a magnificent piece of cake in a variety of inventive ways.If you want to make your angel food cake even more delicious, you can use a variety of toppings, and were here to teach you everything about them. What a different perspective on all of the possibilities that those boxed cake mixes have to offer, dont you think? Hey sally!! If you wish to avoid dairy, you should be careful about eating store-bought angel food cake. Mix the batter just before baking. Answer (1 of 10): yes , to make it more soft i add milk instead of water, you dont actually have to because the cake mix probably has mikpowder that get activated when you add water , but i still prefer to add milk , also adding extra egg too makes cake mix better. Store sauce in the refrigerator. Who knows, you could end up with a brilliant family recipe that gets passed down as an heirloom. maybe 3 8 pans? like always, my family and i LOVED the recipe, even though i made a few screw-ups along the way lol (didnt fold the batter enough, forgot to sift, underbaked a smidge because my oven sucks). Serve with cake. (There are affiliate connections on this page.) Read our, Sally McKenney is a professional food photographer, cookbook author, and baker. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Did you know that angel food cake has been a popular dessert in the United States since the 1800s? Its a white cake. Submit your question or recipe review here. To make it more fancier, sprinkle it with roasted almonds or shredded coconut before serving. A light and delicate cake will not be produced if you are unable to achieve the desired consistency. You may use any berries you choose, including blueberries, raspberries, and anything else you have on hand, but my personal favorite is strawberry. Heat oven to 350 and move the bottom oven rack to the lowest position so you have room for your angel food cake pan. In a large bowl using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whip egg whites and cream of tartar together on medium-low until foamy, about 1 minute. Stir until thickened and set aside. For the best results, raid your pantry and incorporate whatever flavorings you choose into your cake mix. To achieve the best results, follow the directions to the letter. This chocolate angel food cake is rich and indulgent, but its also simple to make if you have a boxed cake mix on hand. I made a lemon curd with the yolks, but it wasnt even used with the cake, it was that good. Add 3 Tbsp of green Creme de Menthe ice cream topping, and mix until the color is uniform. To make your own, pour granulated sugar into a blender or food processor, then blend the sugar until it is a fine, fluffy powdered sugar. Cant wait to make another birthday cake from your blog next year! Thank you for the wonderful recipe and helpful tips, sally! Feel free to email or share your recipe photos with us on social media. I made the cake exactly as the recipe stated. Lemon Curd and Meringue. Pulse granulated sugar into superfine sugar. Add sausage to a skillet with oil. Cake mixes may be used in an almost limitless number of creative ways. Video too fast . Cheesecake. Stir to combine. Set oven to 350F. Egg whites provide the sole leavening for angel food cake, so they must be whipped correctly. Add 1/2 cup milk and bring to a boil. In the past, have you tried any recipes that called for angel food cake mix and enjoyed them? ANGEL FOOD TRIFLE (LOW FAT) Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Thank you so much for making and trusting our recipes, Charla! This recipe concept will take a little more time, but it will be well worth it in the end. Whip until soft peaks form, about 5-6 minutes. We cant achieve angel food cake perfection for free, so make sure you follow these steps closely. Angel food cake can be baked at a temperature of 60 degrees Celsius or higher. Thank you! We link to the tube pan we use in the post above. I adore butter to such an extent that you need exercise caution when following my instructions to utilize it. First of all, angel food cake is not a yellow cake. Second Ingredient. No, do not use a Bundt pan for angel food cake. Boxed angel food cake speeds prep time but retains the cake's home-baked taste. angel food cake mix, lemon pie filling Lemon Angel Food Cake Roll A Heavenly Dessert Southern Plate angel food cake mix, lemon curd, fat, pudding mix, pudding mix and 5 more Angel Food Waffle Shortcake Betty Crocker purple grapes, powdered sugar, cherry, water, strawberries, angel food cake mix and 6 more Pina Colada Sheet Cake Gonna Want Seconds, Angel food cake gets its lift from beaten egg whites. Adding the right amount keeps the cake from being dense. (Because it's so thick, you might have to add slightly more buttermilk than a direct one-to-one ratio.) Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, about 25 minutes. A cake that is baked in a pan that is too tiny can leak, resulting in destroyed cake. With pre-made batter combinations now available at most grocery shops, making a cake has never been more convenient. She loved this recipe so much and the lemon curd. Alternatively, you can take it to the next level by decorating the top with cherries, whipped cream, toasted almonds, marshmallows, and sprinkles. 2. at a time until the batter thickens. Bake angel food pan 45-55 min. and raspberry angel food cake. Heres one more secret little tip: lemon zest absolutely livens up a box of cake mix! Drizzle your angel food cake with generous amounts of Nutella sauce and frost it with mascarpone whipped cream. Angel food cake is made with flour, egg whites, and sugar, just like many other cakes. Vanilla extract is usually a good choice, but any extract may be used to improve a flavor. Heres the breakdown: Im confident this will be the most perfect angel food cake to ever hit your lips. i made this for my nieces birthday and it was a huge hit. Its impossible to go wrong with chocolate sponge cake when it comes to making it. The size of the cake pan you use for your angel food cake will most likely be specified on the box. And good news: heres a helpful trick for how to bake angel food cake without a tube pan. This rapid rise will also change the texture of the finished cake. Once the mixture begins to come together, use the entire whisk to whip it until it is fluffy and well-combined. Can I add fresh blueberries to the cake before baked? Following your first attempt at one of these recipes, you will never go back to the thick, dried-out, store-bought variety again. Youre always my go-to for baking recipes! Perfect for parties or to make at a moment's notice; ENDLESS OPTIONS: Add your own twist to these mixes by trying tested and trusted Betty Crocker recipes; FLUFFY SWEETNESS: Fluffy, slightly chewy and satisfyingly sweet 16 Angel Food Cake Toppings Strawberries and Cream. However, there are several specifics about these components that make all the difference in how perfectly your angel food cake comes out. This one is for all of you coffee enthusiasts out there! Whatever your feelings about cake mixes, you can all agree on one thing: they can always be made a bit more delicious and appealing. Add 3 eggs and 1 can of apple pie filling to a spice cake mix and stir well. Spread batter evenly in an ungreased 9x13-inch glass baking dish. Slice the cake with a sharp serrated knife. If youre a fan of the pressure cooker, as I am, this Instant Pot angel food cake is for you. Instructions for the streusel topping: Combine all of the ingredients in a large mixing dish. Mix-ins always make a cake stand out and make it taste more like it was created from scratch. Gently spoon the mixture into your 4.5" angel food cake pan (until about 3/4 way full) and lightly cover with . This recipe, on the other hand, does not require the use of nonstick spray to oil the glass baking pans. It is important to follow these instructions precisely in order to achieve a wonderful cake every time. (Pictured above.) You may use either lemon juice or lemon zest (or both!) Unfortunately I forgot what I used for sugar and I need to make it again, so I had a question: rather than try and make granulated sugar superfine, wouldnt powdered sugar work just as well? Using a pan that is too large can prevent the cake from rising to its proper height. It is also lower in calories than most cakes . Use use the tip of the whisk to gently mix the powder in order to prevent it from going all over your hands and clothes. Far better than any I had from the store. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. If you want to keep this tradition alive, this pineapple-angel food cake is the perfect option. Remove from the oven, then cool the cake completely upside-down set on a wire rack, about 3 hours. Its pristine white on the inside with a chewy light brown crumb around the exterior. Because it is so airy, cloud-like, and downright ethereal, this simple delicacy is possibly the most properly titled food in history. you could use these substitute. Add 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 1 to 2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice to any of the yellow or white cake mixes. Though its labeled as nonstick, the coating is VERY thin and has never been an issue for my angel food cakes. To finish it off, drizzle it with a very fresh and tangy Greek yogurt icing. Once the mixture is completely wet, stop mixing. From there, we have a slew of different simple boxed cake mix recipes to choose from. Hi! Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. 3. Enjoy! Can you add cocoa powder to the white cake mix? If youre making angel food cake from scratch, manually whisking the batter is not recommended. The egg whites should not be over- or under-beaten. In a large baking dish, pour in the ingredients and bake for 30-33 minutes.The top will be frothy and cracked when it is first baked, but it will gradually sink as it cools.Toss the cake in the refrigerator for 15 minutes before slicing and serving. Total time: 35 minutes Cook time: 20 minutes Prep time: 15 minutes Yields: 8 servings Cuisine: American Number of ingredients: 3 The pineapple is what makes this easy angel food cake with only two ingredients stand out. Remove from oven, and allow the cake to cool completely, about 1 hour. Sift half of the sugar together with the salt and cake flour. Very complicated recipe. Do not follow the directions on the box. The batter expands rapidly and will overflow from the mixing bowl, leaving your counter a mess. Slice the cake in half horizontally and add some vanilla custard on top of the first layer to make a sandwich. After all, baking is a highly exact science. Skip to content Substituting milk for the water in a cake mix adds more density and body to the finished product. The cake was light, fluffy, and packed full of angel food cake flavor. However, you dont want them to be too stiff or too dry. It is necessary to use a pan to help the angel food cake climb up your pan since it rises. The can must have a capacity of 21 ounces. Yes, you can use milk instead of oil in the cake mix, but there will be a difference in the texture and taste. Stir until well combined between each cup. A caramel macchiato-flavored angel food cake comes to mind while were on the subject of coffee. Make certain that nothing will knock your masterpiece over and then walk away. Miss Jones baking organic. Add 1.5 cups of the boxed Angel Food Cake Mix to a large bowl. For example, 1/8 to 1/4 cup lemon or lime juice in 1 cup of water will create a strong citrus flavor. While its still hot, gently roll it up into a Swiss roll shape to serve (use a clean tea towel to help you). There is a subtle vanilla flavor, as well as a sweet almond backnote. It should be completely covered in pineapple whip! Once cooled, run a thin knife around the edges and gently tap the pan on the counter until the cake releases. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and bake for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Youll have a very hard time getting it out in one piece. If at all possible, adhere to the given guidelines. And I challenge you to find a single college student who does not gush about their accomplishments. There is no rule that says you must bake an angel food cake in a tube pan. Some readers have found this chart helpful: https://www.kingarthurflour.com/learn/high-altitude-baking.html. Mix again until combined. Replace Water with Dairy The average cake mix calls for the most boring of liquids: water. Not many people are aware that you can bake angel food cake cookies as well? You can see examples of angel food cake products with and without dairy in the table below. Using only 6 ingredients, thisperfect angel food cake bakes up tall, light, and airy. Looks like pound cake. Add the egg whites with extracts, water, and cream of tartar together in a mixing bowl. Some angel food cake products have dairy while others do not. 1 week ago allrecipes.com Show details . Then, pop it straight into the oven. Beginning with a rectangle baking pan coated with parchment paper, bake the angel cake batter for 15 minutes. Carefully spread over pie filling; top with whipped topping. The substitution of buttermilk for all of the liquid specified on the box of cake mix is a popular approach for enhancing cake mixes. Add the right amount of water. Even a small trace of yolk in egg whites will prevent them from whipping to their fullest. Of course, we like plain, and strawberry was a fun way to spice things up a little, but you could also use chocolate instead. Sauce should be stored in the refrigerator. The cake batter should hold a soft peak. Be sure to use just the 16 ounce size simply add water version of Angel food cake mix when making the cake batter. Prepare a spice cake mix by substituting four eggs for the three called for in the recipe and omitting the water. The consistency of boxed cake mixes tends to be lighter, but if youre looking for a thicker, more moist cake, all you have to do is add an extra egg to your mix. Set aside the other half of the sugar. Fresh Berries. Trusted Super Moist Angel Food cake mix recipes from Betty Crocker. Half of the cake batter should be poured into a Bundt pan. Regardless of which one you select, remember to snap a photo and share it on Instagram before you dig in! Not only does this recipe enhance the flavor of boxed cake mix by adding vanilla and lemon extract, but it also visually improves the cabinet staple. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl, combine angel food cake mix and crushed pineapple (do not drain) until no dry spots of cake mix are visible. Unlike most cakes, angel food needs to cook in a pan that has not been greased for the texture and rise to come out properly. It will set as the cake cools. Is it OK to cool it up right since it came out of the pan? Scrape down sides and bottom of bowl. We are no stranger to decadent and rich cakes. Intense and tart, lemon and lime are best diluted with plenty of water, with as much as 6 parts water to 1 part juice.