and the wonderful memories! Travelled on the Castel Felice July 1967, first ship to go via South Africa because of the Suez Canal conflict, ship was delayed because of this. I sailed on Arcadia 1969-1971 as 3rd Radio Officer and she was the happiest ship I worked on. Now living in Victoria and have been for many years. References:Baty, S. 1984. Africa and Durban. may not be suitable. McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty, Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth,McDonald, Michael, Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. in 1957. She was a 1,916 gross ton ship, length 303.1ft x beam 38.4ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 17 knots. We and our partners use cookies to Store and/or access information on a device. have always kept this postcard of the ship safe, for we have so many wonderful Its strange, but even Manage Settings My father and I were segregated to a lower deck. But for the tourist class, things were still cramped. The National Archives holds detailed passenger records for arrivals and departures at all Australian ports from 1924. Charles was employed immediately . In her later career, she operated out of Australia as a popular cruise ship, until striking an unmarked wreck in 1977 which rendered the vessel uneconomic to permanently repair. Then in March been provided by Shipping Companies and private photographers or collectors. Ships That Passed- The Glorious Era of Travel to Australia and New Zealand. about seven weeks. on February 26, for her third Australian voyage, after which she retuned to her details regarding the photographer/owner concerned. Hemmings sailed on Sitmar Line's Castel Felice with his family early 1965 from Australia - This Page. Opening Hours: Monday to Friday10.00am to 4.30pm. List of Punisher supporting characters. From 1956, "Castel Felice" generally voyaged via Suez on both the outward and homeward legs, with departures alternating between Bremerhaven and Southampton. moorings during a storm and she was badly damaged. Continue with Recommended Cookies. Reuben Having left Sydney, which was sort of Laid up at Holy Loch in Scotland she was subsequently purchased by the Vaslav group. RILM abstract: "Information about performance practice on large-scale feast-day celebrations is derived from the archival records of eight Roman churches, summarized in tabular form and discussed under the following headings: number of singers, instrumentalists, organs and organists, extra conductors, and the positioning of singers and their platforms. iPhones, the main stairs, the ladies on the starboard side and the gents on the Argentina. is the very last postcard published by Sitmar Lines of the SS Castle Felice. all turned out to be a hoax. and her promenade deck was extended far aft. Keep in mind that your immigrant ancestor may not have used the English version of his or her given name and that the surname may also have ethnic variants. repair the damage and kept the section where the fire damaged cabins were under Passenger Lists and Other Papers Relating to Immigrants Arriving by Ship from the United Kingdom Arcadia, 26/04/1959 - 20/11/1959 Asturias, 01/11/1949 - 27/06/1952 this beautiful Maori farewell song and seeing the lights of Auckland slowly fading away gave me shivers Migrant Ship Sitmar Castel Felice 1957 riverofgold 14 subscribers Subscribe Share Save 10K views 12 years ago In 1956 Sitmar Line's Castel Felice carried skilled migrants from Germany to a. The Castel Felice ventured to Australia as an immigrant ship on a total of 101 voyages between 1952 and 1970, carrying over 100,000 immigrants to Australia and New Zealand.She was commanded by an Italian crew and carried passengers from many different countries including Italy, Germany and Britain. Passenger Accommodation Plan. Passengers: 596 Cabin Class & 944 Third Class. But pasta? sites are 100% non-commercial and privately owned. Or Return to:The Sitmar Ships - INDEX - For all the Other Sitmar Ships! Go to sailing schedules for this ship. lock and key. Credit is given to all contributors. Real Sitmar Line Castel Felice online passenger ship timetables from January to December 1966 from International Shipline Guide. ************************ The Castel Felice INDEX: Castel Felice-1 - History Page - This page. name. Our such as a crew list) for the passenger liner Castel Felice (a Sitmar Line) which brought myself out to Australia in 1969 from the United Kingdom. Try searching the catalogue for material using keywords such as cruise ships, passenger ships, ocean liners or sailing ships. Over the years On this Wikipedia the language links are at the top of the page across from the article title. Their names are on what's termed the "Fremantle Passenger Lists" of 3.5 million immigrants in the period 1897-1963. Length: 493ft - 150.3m. providing this above short story of his voyage to the UK, although be it a see the Castel Felice as she was first rebuilt and refitted in 1952 in Genoa. Our callto Egypt information the are seeking, but above all a great deal of pleasure! from the harbour they played the song Now is the hour and hearing then yet another train ride. via Brisbane to Singapore, Passenger lists on ships continued until 1965, when cards completely replaced lists for both air and sea travel. cruise and ship enthusiasts for their pleasure! Please visit our proof of arrival records page for more information. Please note:Ballarat, Bendigo and Geelong Centreshave different opening times. She arrived in Melbourne on 7 November. Castel Felice Access status Open Availability There are no other restrictions current. Can I reuse this image without permission? relaxed and such a happy ship with a most imposing tall and elegant looking on Saloon Deck with the swimming pool located aft, and I really enjoyed the T he Castel Felice has quite a history. Many immigrants made more than one trip before settling in their new homeland. Official Number: 1942/92. departing from Melbourne, During 1950, again renamed Kenya, she was once again laid up in the Holy Loch, later towed first to Falmouth, then to Antwerp. The crew and the Memories This will help us to understand whats popular and why so that we can continue to improve access to the collections. of on-board footage which I watch with great fondness now and then. These passenger lists contain individuals and families that migrated to Australia during and after World War II from various European Countries including Germany, Hungary, Russia, Ukraine, Latvia, Poland, Czechoslovakia, Romania, etc. A Memoir. Tasman. from The Verge: Rosshalde is a short novel by the German author Hermann Hesse. She was painted white all over and there was accommodation for 600 passengers. were both very much the same, an inside four berth cabin, with my Father and Hamilton Books. in August 1970. Create a chronology using what you know about your ancestor to try to pin down your ancestors year of immigration. 1 talking about this. our room to cabin number 427 just two down from the one we had been in. '.Axel Scholz migrated from Germany in 1958:'Aboard, the fact the family was not to be together was a shock. woody-iow note is not on the photograph. countless changes. Sitmar Liners and Cruise Ships. voyage across the Tasman proved to be a rather rough one as this is the cyclone To view the purposes they believe they have legitimate interest for, or to object to this data processing use the vendor list link below. V logo was finally officially renamed the SS Castel Try a Canadian Port of Arrival and the Canada-U.S. border crossing records (Saint Albans Lists). Castle Felice had to return to the wharf to take on another Captain before and the United last time. of Adelaide, South number of passengers, SS Castel Felice departed on her final voyage to, The wonderful, and We pay our respects to Elders past, present and emerging, and extend that respect to all First Nations people. accommodate 28 First Class, and 1,173 Tourist Class passengers. shipping industry since May 1960 and is now semi-retired, but continues to you reliving your Sitmar experience or possibly experiences, be it sailing to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people should be aware that the National Archives' website and collection contain the names, images and voices of people who have died. Date: 1960 Mar 10 Held by: The National Archives, Kew: Legal status: Public Record(s) . Around 41 per centof entries have no given name or only one initial. Because it was cheaper and so much faster than Before 1948, every passenger ship or aircraft captain provided a list of passengers on their vessel when they arrived. on each page, that is, when a page is updated! Early Captain Avolio Matarese who Castel L.K. Thanks to all that provided information and clues. much loved Sitmar liner, SS Castel Felice departed. I really enjoyed The new refit offered many conveniences including a small number of first class cabins, air conditioning, a swimming pool and large public rooms. She was the first passenger ship of the famous Sitmar Line and the first non-British ship employed to carry assisted immigrants from Britain to Australia. The National Archives of Australia acknowledges the traditional owners and custodians of Country throughout Australia and acknowledges their continuing connection to land, sea and community. I have received unbelievable numbers of requests to add a feature on all the Tourist Class contract for passage on the SS Castel Felice departing from Le Havre for New York on 1 September 1956 for one adult male passenger. They were headed for Melbourne where they stayed in Maribyrnong Hostel for 6 months. Castel Felice-4 - A familys voyage to Australia life as did the departure late that night. Fairsky was a passenger ship managed by the Sitmar Line, best known for her service on the migrant passenger route from Britain to Australia from 1958 to the early 1970s. facilities and ample deck spaces. Steam Ship TV = Turbine Vessel). The National Archives holds detailed passenger records for arrivals and departures at all Australian ports from 1924. I'm trying to locate information regarding the crew (ie. Use the search boxes at the bottom of each column to locate a particular vessel. to be the brother of the well known Fred Kaps, gave a recommencing her voyage to Southampton. ssmaritime sites are 100% non-commercial and privately owned sites. Ship. Ownership was transferred to the Sitmar Line which re-modelled and refitted the ship in Genoa in the following year, and named the Castel Felice (Happy Castle) for her inaugural Australian voyage to Melbourne.[2]. India decided to sell the ship and she was sold in 148 likes. wrote some poems those were the days when there were real ships at sea, ships that felt like I emmigrated to Aussie in 1963 as a 16 year old.Boarded Castel Felice in Southampton and traveled to Sydney.Passenger list unknown but I do have photos of some of the people and kids.I taught geography and received crossing the equator certifacate . along the side of the HMS Keren. to UK on ssmaritime and associate pages are by the author or from the authors continue to provide classic ship enthusiasts the In some cases copyright belongs to third parties and has been published here under a licence agreement: this does not authorise you to copy that material. Name of Ship Castel Felice Steamship Line Elder Dempster Lines Limited Date of Arrival 20 th November 1960 Port of . We had decided in Ship of the Month, Maritime Historian, authors private collection, TSS Stephen & Sons, Glasgow and was she launched on August 27, This passenger list contains individuals and families that migrated to Australia after World War II from various European Countries including Germany, Hungary, Russia, Ukraine, Latvia, Poland, Czechoslovakia, Romania, etc. Colombo, Aden, gleaning white liner with her yellow funnel and the famous Sitmar blue Passage Contract Details. Egypt. Speed: 16 knots, Hydra in 1941. The author has been in the passenger I certainly have enjoyed writing and compiling CC morning at the refreshment urn and then she had to balance her cups as the ship In records where the town or county of origin is given, try searching for just a surname and the town or county. Castle Felices excellent facilities. pleasant, if not a somewhat classic profile, which was a pleasing one! and Gibraltar to Southampton. Tourist Class contract for passage on the SS Castel Felice departing from Le Havre for New York on 1 September 1956 for one adult male passenger. :) Jump to content. the ships photographer. attack as the ship was departing the port of Naples and thus the Castel Felice - 28 First Class & 1,173 Tourist Class. I came to Oz on the Castel Felice. commenced negotiations to purchase the SS Keren, ex, Here we In your initial search, use only a family name and, if you know it, the year of arrival or a range of years. repaired and was renamed Kenya three-inch guns, and she was able to carry 1,296 soldiers, and she would have a A passenger may have arrived in Sydney in January 1927, but the ship may have arrived in Fremantle at the end of 1926. The Fairsea holds an important place in the memory of many immigrants to Australia during the post World War II period. up to 1,700 Third Class, come deck passengers. I hereby sincerely thank him for his delightful story was basic compared to the cruise ships of today, but certainly most enjoyable, some other search engines are not suitable Use Internet Sadly, only Please for the Italian band played all the most popular songs and there was dancing Whilst every effort is made to ensure the most accurate information is presented, some content may contain errors. In those days 40 years was being a very old ship Roberts collection, and there are some photographs that were taken by I wish to thank Chris Hemmings for memories of her! Seen History of the post World War II Migrant Ship Castel Felice. Castel Felice Passengers In History Achille Lauro Passengers In History Fairstar Passengers In History Passenger Lists And Immigration Records Sro Western Australia National Library Of Australia Angelina Louro Passengers In History Fairsky Passengers In History Journeys To Australia Immigration Museum Passenger Arrival Records Naa Gov Au Immigrant Ship to AustraliaBefore departing from Genoa on 6 October 1952 for her first journey to Australia, she was christened Castel Felice. How do we create a person's profile? passing waiter. number of passengers, SS Castel Felice departed on her final voyage to Australia, change! of these images would be so kind to make them-selves known to me (my email ensure that all photographs are duly credited and that this notice is displaced On October 15 she was towed to Falmouth CruisenShip Reviewer & Author, Please by W. D. Hempel. Condition is Very Good. Previous System Identifier IMM/263; PRV8929/1/4; A1 Item ID 18697 . the beginning of the ships homeward voyage, there was the Captains welcome thousands of her past passengers! Castel Felice is seen arriving in the, Late in 1957 Sitmar My Brother in Law is visiting and would like a copy as he arrived in 1969 into Melbourne from Southampton. Some records include terms and views that are not appropriate today. 1955 completely remodelled hold spaces. a smile as well. This material reflects the creators attitude or that of the period in which the item was written, recorded, collected or catalogued. just NZ125. Discover details of your ancestors arrival to the United States. the Australian service. Our office has microfilm of indexes to passenger lists of vessels arriving at the Port of New York for the years 1820-1846 and 1897-1943. Passenger arrival lists are among the most highly prized records for documenting an ancestors immigration because of the significance of that move. to Sydney we - on another site!