Rudy Flores. Colt built military versions of the pistol, along with a civilian model and various target models. The Colt Monitor: A Rare Improved BAR DPS Texas Rangers (1935-present) Handguns 1950 Colt .38 Super, Ranger Glenn Elliott Colt Commander Model Longarms 2006 Bushmaster M4 Rifle 2011 LaRue .308 Rifle Other firearms of interest, either not in the museum collection or not on display. The crowd threw stones at the courthouse, forced the doors to the courtroom corridor and rushed toward the courtroom. Gun #: 999474294. A larger group stood in the doorway of the bank where Johnsons cronies illegally kept the election records. The cop in the bunch and 2 of 4 others all had 38 super weapons within a month. To Chris. Shoot 38 Super most of the time rather Colt Cobra TT 38 Special +P Rated Double Action Revolver with Black DLC Cylinder $749.00 $619.99; Notify Me When Available; Brand: Colt; Item Number: COBRA-TT2FO; Colt Cobra 38 Special Used Police Trade-in Revolver $699.99; Brand: Colt; Item Number: 169389LW; Colt Cobra 38 Special Double Action Revolver with Wood Grips . I loved my .38 super so much i bought a colt competition series a few years ago. The Pre-War Colt .38 Super or "Super 38" were produced from 1929-1945. Regular Price. My next project is an AMT Back Up in 40 S&W that I recently converted to 357 Sig and would like also make into 38 Super if I could find a barrel. Slides are engraved Texas Rangers on the left side, and wear the Ranger badge logo on the right. Home Ammunition Throwback Thursday: Does Anyone Still Use the .38 Super? Johnson went on to take the Senate seat that he stole from Stevenson and Stevenson retired to Junction, Texas. This Texas Ranger collector firearm features handsome 24-karat gold decorations, including the hammer, slide stop, safety lock, grip screws, barrel bushing and magazine catch. Barrel is marked "Texas Ranger". As an Old School (Since early 90s) competitive shooter / reloader, and ER/ICU MD, Ive been a fan of ol .38 Super. Then acquired a Colt Defender and that, I thought, settled it. No remorse, excelent gun/caliber combination. Just pick up your brass. It is imported to the USA bu European American Arms (EAA) and is called the EAA Witness by the importer. Secondly, a slide short enough to help with concealment, yet long enough to reduce the whippiness found on many truly short-barreled pistols, and still providing a good sight radius. The .38 Super was designed to fire a 130-grain bullet at the 1,300 feetper- second (fps) threshold while the .38 ACP was in the 1,100 fps range. Colt Defense O1911CSS38QTZ 1991 Aztec Empire .38SUP. . Ive never bothered with it and no one I know personally has either. The mob battled National Guardsmen who were sent into Sherman by Governor Moody and tried to break into the vault. Shot well and handled very similar to a baby eagle. Buy ammo while supplies last. *Last, but not the least: CDNN Sports (TX), used to sell genuine, ramped / supported SIG .38 Super bbls for 1.911. Calling all crime buffs: Here's your shot at history. After I retired from a near 30 year career in emergency services (firefighter/paramedic) I got a job in a gun store. Choose the best gun for you needs with respect of your physical and shooting abilities and select the caliber best suited for the most likely application you could find yourself in. I happen to have a Colt 1911 National Match in the .38 Super Full Wad Cutter. As a result, the American Tactical recently announced the company will offer two new bolt-action rifle systems from Black Creek Labs. I found that using 9mm bullets expanded the available range of bullets without affecting accuracy. I have a Colt 1911 in 38 special.. (not a super) that was made for the U.S. ARMY NATIONAL MATCH TEAM in the 1960s. I think the fact that during the 60s 38 Super kinda faded and like I said the ammo wasnt really easy to get. Love the gun and the round and have no When emailing or calling sellers direct, please mention that you saw their listing on GunsInternational.com. This is an easier cartridge to master than the .45 and has two more rounds of magazine capacity. Guns International #: 101277151 Seller's Inventory #: 219948. Hamer stuffed a blue steel Colt commercial automatic in his belt and it is this gun that is most interesting to this writer. Most competitive race guns at that time were using nothing but .38 Super. An excellent representative for Wilson Combat! Shopping with us is absolutely safe - you never have to worry about credit card safety when shopping here Share your latest AR build or photos from the range with #RangeDayFriday for a chance to win a new firearm! Still use it? Enjoy your new .38 Super! We reserve the right to edit as appropriate, delete profane, harassing, abusive and spam comments or posts, and block repeat offenders. Looking for even more I bought some 923 Winchester brass and long story short from the 5 Super 38 barrel using VV 105 powder and 124 gr. Both can be purchased through the Texas Ranger Museum Gift Shop. Stevenson and Hamer met the lawyers at the Alice Hotel and Hamer told them to take off their coats so that the well-armed gangs employed by the Duke of Duvall,George Parr, would know that they were unarmed. This gun is in excellent condition and is covered by Dury's Lifetime Warranty. Hamer and Stevenson were both tall with big shoulders and carried themselves in a way that stated they meant business. Two of these 22 round magazine equipped death machines were confiscated in a raid on John Dillingers apartment in St. Paul in April of 1933. I have several 1911s and handguns whose calibers run the gamut from .22 through .45 ACP But my .38 Super is by far my smoothest, easiest and most comfortable handgun I own, hands down. The VERY best / strongest, brass is Starline rimless COMP. There were several reasons why the .38 Super didnt take off as Colt hoped it would. cartridge. 2023 FOX News Network, LLC. Full Details. Was an excellent firearm but I let it wiggle its way out of my collection and into one of my buddys who had become obsessed about acquiring it till he offered a deal that I couldnt pass up. Frank Hamer hated corruption of any kind- even when other police officers were involved! Out of stock View . He was elected to a second term in 1944 and was the longest-serving governor in the history of Texas. . I shoot 38 super in a RIA 1911 that my gunsmith set up My 38 Super commander is my EDC. Very Safe. (AP file). My platform I shoot the Super in is from Tanfoglio. Sell a Similar Item. It only made sense to chamber the 1911 Government Model in a .38 caliber cartridge. Ironically, I do. What drew me to the round was the cool history and the cool factor (and yeah, its cool, lol). I find very few people casually shoot the Super. I rank the .38 Super along with the .45 ACP and the .44 Special as the 3 best calibers in America. Colt designed the .38 Super with its Government 1911 platform in mind. Today, Texas DPS issues Sig Sauer pistols in .357 Sig, undeniably robust, and potent, equipment. However, as an elite division, the Rangers are allowed some latitude in what they carry, and a large number choose the 1911. Bond Arms Texas Defender; Bond Arms The Texan, Derringer BATX; Bravo Company Mfg Recce 11 MCMR; . Trace, in the Texas Ranger tradition, had a few of his own ideas to personalize the pistol, opting for a stainless steel slide, coated with black Armor Tuff. Clyde certainly did not intend to be taken alive. Sort By: 19 Item(s) Show. His training, natural abilities and the Wilson were enough for a good start in the sport. $1,836.00. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Seattle Area Schools Should Prepare for Beslan-style Terror Attacks, Frank Hamer and His Guns; The Moment He Almost Kept LBJ From Stealing an Election hi. Lastly, a coated Speed Chute mag well was added to smooth-out reloads. After the Texas Rangers returned here safely, she (with the help of her father) gave each of the Ranger's involved an engraved Colt Commander. Glad both calibers are being produced again in greater numbers. Previously sold. first time i fired it i couldnt believe how flat shooting it is. COLT SERIES 70 LIMITED EDITION .45 TEXAS LONGHORN . Ive been around Rangers, guns, and popping primers, and they all can shoot. Trimming, taper crimping, careful selection of bullets, everything still resulted in many rejects that didnt chamber properly. That small change means that modern .38 Supers are as accurate as 9mm or .45 ACP pistols. The Combat Commander 45 ACP pistol on the right includes a nickel engraved finish and custom silver grips. Some big news for trigger pullers recently from the Civilian Marksmanship Program. I still shoot it and it is my preferred 1911. I used Glocks exclusively for carry went through models and calibers, ending up with the G30 and 45ACP. Today, many thousands own pistols reflecting the success of Bill Wilsons foray into pistolsmithing and his commitment to producing the best that Wilson Combat can offer. If you have a question about an item, please call or e-mail for more information before placing your order. After acquiring his first Wilson Combat pistol, Trace McDonald started competing in USPSA matches. View Shipping, Payment & Auction Policies. The Starburst Pattern G-10 grips really grabbed and held onto the hand, too. With the bull barrel there is no bushing used in the slide so the problem of bushing breakup that some Colt officer-sized guns have experienced is now a thing of the past. Adding a stainless-steel Tactical Ambidextrous Thumb Safety accommodated his left-handedness. Stevenson was elected to a full term in 1942, winning the Democratic primary with 69% and being unopposed in the general election. The Professionals groups were a little larger than I might have expected, but including this pistol, I have only test fired two .38 Super handguns. While I have relegated most of my collection to the comfort of the safe, I loved the pistol and carried it for years. The smaller-diameter .38 Super in its hottest loads offer greater penetration against light cover than the .45 ACP or 9mm cartridges. I had Republic Forge build me a 1911 in 9mm and also included the 38 super barrel and spring. Hi Ben, email me at bowhuntr1959@yahoo.com if you are interested in selling your 38 super ammo. Nor could Browning have anticipated the affinity the Texas Rangers would develop for his slab-slided handful of firepower soon after its introductionor Bill Wilsons 60 years later. Advantage is you only have to find an FFL in your area to handle the transfer (also easy to do with Google), and once everything is said and done, youve escaped all the sales tax (unless you get it from someone in your state) and the higher price that a retailer is likely going to charge from the get-go, so you end up saving some money and can shop around without leaving your keyboard! The .45 SAA Colt was a mainstay until John Browning completed his 1911 project. Browse our ever-growing inventory of popular pistols like the Defender, Gold Cup, Mustang, and other. Both of my Open STI Race Guns are .38 Super made for Major Power Factors of the 1990s. Colt 1911 Texas Ranger commemorative chambered in .38 Super with a 4 1/4 inch barrel bright bore and good grooves with a display case and Texas Ranger Medallion. Seller: Craig Barter. I shoot the .38 Super from a couple of Tanfoglios. . The .38-caliber revolver taped to Bonnie Parkers inner thigh when she and Clyde Barrow were killed by a Texas posse in 1934 has been made federally compliant and will be auctioned later this week. Their deaths ended a legendary Depression-era crime spree that spanned the central U.S. and included holdups of more than a dozen banks and scores of small shops and gas stations. In 1928, The Texas Bankers Association gave rewards to officers that set up certain petty criminals to be killed so that corrupt police officers could collect the rewards and pay finders fees. Gun #: 962326740. It took a few years to solve that problem, but by then the .357 Magnum becames the Cats Meow, especially among Law Enforcement (Colts original target market). It is just that ammunition and handguns in this caliber are sometimes difficult to come by. The article covers the bases pretty well the 38 super is to a 9mm what the 357 is to the 38 splin short more bang. He had to pull it on several occasions, but only used it 3 or 4 times. The conservative ranchers and almost everyone else in Texas loved Coke Stevenson and what he stood for. today it is in the Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum in Waco. Over the next four years, they became household names before their deaths at the hands of a Texas posse that had been tracking the gang since it helped break several friends out of a Texas jail. Colt's Manufacturing Company, LLC (CMC, formerly Colt's Patent Firearms Manufacturing Company) is an American firearms manufacturer, founded in 1855 by Samuel Colt and is now a subsidiary of Czech holding company Colt CZ Group.It is the successor corporation to Colt's earlier firearms-making efforts, which started in 1836. But, ammo is not plentiful and 9mm+P is. Hughes trial was scheduled for trial within a week and a mob gathered outside the jail every night. This is simply because the original before the +P designation was a development of the .38 ACP. Add to Wish List . In 1948, Stevenson led the Democratic primary with 39.7% to 33.7% against Lyndon B. Johnson. Colt 1911 Government Model Mark IV Series 70 38 Super Box. I have 2 Kimber 38 Supers and love them. Got out and bought a new Glock as they were the new kids on the block. Serial Colt Model 1889 U.S. Navy Revolver. Frank Hamer, on the other hand, retired in 1949 and lived in Austin until his death in 1955. I hunted for years to find a 1911 in .38 Super I could afford. I reload for mine so ammunition is not a problem, All loads are made up in rimless Starline match brass and with a load the pistol likes I can get 2 groups at 25 yards. I shoot 45s more than anything else but sometimes wish I had purchased a SUPER back in the day. The lawyers got to look at the records just long enough to make notes and it soon became apparent that Lyndon Johnson had engaged in a massive election fraud that was unprecedented even by the standards then prevalent in Texas where ranchers and political bosses were able to deliver blocs of voters to candidates willing to pay the highest price. The mob, estimated at 5,000 people, then proceeded to burn black businesses. Nelson killed Federal Agent Baum at Little Bohemia with a .38 Super machine pistol. 26 years and still my favorite pistol. used to rainbow trajectories with 45, I have one and love it mine is a rock island sometimes hard to find ammo. His favorite longarm was a .30-30 Winchester M1894 lever-action rifle. I couldnt ask for more. He had great regards for the 38 but seemed to like the 45s more. Finding specific guns right now is a be-otch. Corrosion-resistant stainless steel and chambered in .38 Super, this firearm is a pure and simple 1911 designed for you to make it your own. Serial Number: NONE. Why so popular South of the border? The 38 Super fills the bill here. If you are a 1911 fan, after you fire the Super 38, you will not go back to .45 ACP. The .38 Super chambered 1911 arriving in 1929 pre-dated not only the .357 Magnum of 1935 but also the .38-44 Heavy Duty of 1930. The Barrow Gang robbed banks in Oklahoma, Texas and Iowa with Hamer in hot pursuit. All rights reserved. Colt .38 Super SN:1575 MFG:1929 Colt. By the time Bar-Sto got around to changing it to headspace on the case mouth, the market was nearly gone. Both use the same Wilson Shortly thereafter, many Rangers adopted the platform, first in .45 Auto, later in the .38 Super. I fit a Super 38 barrel to it and a 1lb. defense as they sell hollow points as well. This is easily my favorite caliber to shoot and i have guns in .357 magnum, 9mm 45acp 50ae 44 magnum 10mm 380acp 38special. Have been reading about early Texas history and am amazed by accounts of the states way of life in the early 1900s and the stories of men like Frank Hamer and LBJ who contributed so much good and bad. Nevertheless, the brief opportunity to look at the election documents inside the bank was made possible by Hamers 200 yard walk down the center of Alice, Texas with his coat off. . Francis Augustus Hamer (March 17, 1884 July 10, 1955) is best known for ambushing Bonnie and Clyde in 1934. heavier recoil spring. than 9 out of that platform @ 1200 FPS. Can someone give me an idea of what they are selling for? Had a guy once tell me there was no such thing, he is now a believer. The pistol pictured was presented to Highway patrolman Glenn Elliott in 1956. as well as lawmen had caught on to bullet proof vests and their resistance to .45 caliber penetration. Colt 38 Super; Colt 380; Colt 45; Colt AR 15; Colt AR-15; Colt Cobra; Colt Cobra .38 Spl +P; Colt Combat Unit CCO; . Along with extra magazines. Ha. . First, a frame handling eight-round Wilson magazines, for a nine-shot capacity, and one on which you can always get all your fingers. Played by Faye Dunaway in the 1967 classic film Bonnie and Clyde, Parker was glamorized as a chain-smoking, gun-toting gangster gal even though historians doubt that she played a key role in the gang. HT108, W:D71) and the lever-action rifle with a .35 Remington Model 8 semiautomatic rifle (p. W:D72) with 20-round magazine extension (both weapons offering superior penetration against bullet-proof vests and the heavy Ford V8 sedans Clyde Barrow was partial to). In the 80s people began to realize that head spacing off the Rim (like revolver cartridges) was why so many .38 Supers were not accurate, and started spacing off the case mouth, like the .45 ACP. Hammer carried his Triplelock in a shoulder holster. The Republic of Texas served as its proving ground and was nearly the only market for Colt's revolutionary product. Read on. See Sold Price. remarkably easy to handload. I have purchase all the cheap stuff, Armscor, Magtech and Aguilla in 125 to 130 grain, you can find it for $15 ish a box. The Model 8 was one of at least two Model 8s used in the ambush. Colt was discontinuing the long-serving .38 ACP automatic and wished to introduce a mid bore to replace it. ATF special agents were then able to obtain an ATF-issued serial number ATF7620091 for RR Auction, which was later stamped onto the revolvers receiver and making it federally compliant for an auction on Sept. 30, when it is expected to fetch upward of $200,000. On horseback pursuing Mexican bandits or errant Comanches, or in the seat of a Crown Victoria sleuthing out a serial killer, Rangers usually carry all their equipment with them. Also W.C. combat hammer. One can assume this must have been at a bit of a distance or Hamer hit him in the legs as apparently the guy lived. I always loved that pistol. I could push a 100 grain Speer JHP downrange near 1500 fps using Blue Dot though I cant recall the powder charge. Colt 1911C Government ,.38 Super, 5" Barrel, Blue, Semi-Auto . Read the article about the Amy McNeil Kidnapping. I accidentally bought 38 super rounds through the mail and realized my mistake. I request a letter from Colt on all pre-war Super .38s as many were carried by various LEOs. I use the Colt Combat Commander. For the max in performance, Buffalo Bore offers high-velocity loads, including a 1,400 fps 115-grain JHP. The Ranger Connection Hamer retained a Special Ranger commission after retirement and he put it to good use. Texas Rangers are an independent lotalways have beenperhaps from that time alone riding horseback across the vast expanse of Texas. You wont find a better pistol and caliber. The third reason springs from a fortunate experiment done by a friend of mine in 1939 on a dare. Not far from my Bar.Sto, Clark, Briley bbls. Joined: Oct 2004. A gunman had once jumped out to prevent him from testifying in a trial. They were later gunned down in 1934 on the outskirts of Bienville Parish, La. Its used most commonly in competition teamed with a compensated 1911 (opinion). Ted Hinton, in his book Ambush, declares that two of the Colt automatics at the ambush were .38 Supers. I am thinking of finding them a new home and cant find much info as far as value. Hamer left the Rangers and then returned again in 1921, transferring to Austin where he served as Senior Ranger Captain. This beautiful Colt was shipped to a hardware store in 1932 in El Paso, Texas for Texas Ranger Ralph Rohatsch, who at the time was a member of the Texas Highway Patrol.. To front for Old Lucky, Capt. Though Clyde and Bonnie escaped the Sowers ambush by Dallas County authorities in November of 1933, Clyde ditched his shot up car near the Ft. Worth Pike and commandeered a less damaged car to make good their flight to freedom.