Tony Woods, the principal at Lee High School, says he felt like it was his due diligence to pursue this. Drag images here or select from your computer for Condredge Holloway Sr. memorial. Are you sure that you want to delete this memorial? Social distancing and face coverings required. Accident And Injury Details Meet His Wife On Instagram. He was the first African American baseball player at UT. Your Scrapbook is currently empty. 1015 Volunteer Boulevard Please ensure you have given Find a Grave permission to access your location in your browser settings. Resend Activation Email. The documentary was produced by country music star and longtime UT fan Kenny Chesney. Translation on Find a Grave is an ongoing project. Our reasoning for presenting offensive logos. WebCondredge Holloway stands as one of the most beloved athletes ever to represent the Tennessee Volunteers. I didn't get that feeling when I met Condredge," Chesney said. All logos are the trademark & property of their owners and not Sports Reference LLC. I felt like we should honor him.. You have chosen this person to be their own family member. Are you sure that you want to delete this photo? This relationship is not possible based on lifespan dates. SECN RE-AIR ESPN Original Entertainment. "As a songwriter, you search for inspiration in so many different ways," he said. Because after him, it became easier.". He was named to UTs 100th anniversary team and is a member of UTs African American Hall of Fame. Try again. (09/2/10), Uni Watch delivers news about new Nike college foootball gear. cemeteries found in Huntsville, Madison County, Alabama, USA will be saved to your photo volunteer list. Devoted, loving, and caring friends; Lenora Andrews, and Darrell and Shari DeVore. Flowers added to the memorial appear on the bottom of the memorial or here on the Flowers tab. Battle is, in Holloways words, as close to me as my dad was. Battle is still one of Holloways closest friends. In contrast, Artful Dodger is better known as Holloway. After that, Chesney heads back on the road for another tour. WebSEC Storied: The Color Orange: The Condredge Holloway Story. They are the proud parents of both of their children. Condredge Holloway, right, had his baseball jersey retired during a ceremony Saturday at Lindsey Nelson Stadium. WebCondredge Holloway. All in the family: how three generations of Jaquezes have ruled West Coast basketball, Alonso says Aston 'living a dream,' eyes podium, Top moments from Brady, Manning, Jordan and other athletes hosting 'Saturday Night Live'. In addition to this, he held the distinction of being the first black quarterback to play in the Southeastern Conference and did so while on the coaching staff of Bill Battle. In 144 at-bats, the steady shortstop collected 57 hits and 32 runs scoredboth team-highs; the 57 hits were a UT single-season record. His seven RBIs during Tennessee's 26-4 win over Maryville College (4/11/1973) set a single-game program record. WebHolloway was born to Condredge Holloway, Sr., and Dorothy Holloway. Concluded his Tennessee baseball career with 147 hits in 417 at-bats (119 games) with 15 doubles, two triples, eight home runs, 63 RBIs, 23 stolen bases and 104 runs. She was Donald Page/Tennessee athletics The surprise left Holloway fighting back tears. Holloway led the Vols to three post-season bowl games, while earning Sophomore Of The Year and Junior Of The Year awards in the SEC. "I didn't know before I got into these documentaries that sports would have fed my soul as much as this has. Mom was brilliant, charming, passionate, and funny. ET at Lindsey Nelson Stadium. As a result of Condredge Holloways time spent playing for Coach Bill Battle, they developed a strong friendship. As Holloway notes in the film: "Any kid who comes here needs to know who Lester McClain is. Do you have a sports website? "He would scramble and extend the play, but he did it all from the line of scrimmage, it wasn't from the shotgun or the Wildcat, he made a lot of people miss, a lot, on every play.". "You know I've just never been that way," Holloway said. He was known as The Artful Dodger.. There isnt much information on the Condredge Holloway family. Condredge Holloway Overview. I was flattered I had a fan, and then it just grew from there.". Condredge Holloway's daughter Jasmine is the oldest child, who is believed to be in her 30s. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Chesney even wore a No. Please enter your email address and we will send you an email with a reset password code. During his three years as the Vols signal caller, he guided UT to a 25-9-2 record and amassed 4,068 Use Next and Previous buttons to navigate, or jump to a slide with the slide dots. In other news, what was the total amount that Brooke Henderson took home today at the Evian Championship? Holloway was a "people person" who enjoyed all sports and had a passion for golf. Holloway's son, Condredge Holloway III, is an equipment manager with the football team. Condredge Holloway. Condredge Holloway III and Jasmine Holloway are the couples two adorable children. Condredge Holloways net worth has yet to be published. Yes, I know there were race issues all over, but not in my family and friends," Chesney said. There are no statistics for this selected season available for this player. Oops, we were unable to send the email. Holloway, a graduate of Lee High School, turned down the MLB out of high school to honor his mothers wishes of getting an education. Try again later. Oops, something didn't work. Now that weve covered his professional career, Ill proceed to discuss some aspects of his personal life, such as his family, which includes his wife and his children. Due to the fact that Condredge was only 17 years old when he was selected in the draft, the state of Alabama mandated that his mother sign the Major League Baseball contract on his behalf. Search by last name, sport or your favorites. Born Jan. 25, 1954, in Huntsville, Alabama. Holloway simply shook his head and laughed, but Chesney has other plans. The SPORTS REFERENCE and STATHEAD trademarks are owned exclusively by Sports Reference LLC. Fans can watch the televised debut of "The Color Orange: The Condredge Holloway Story" on Sunday at 8 p.m. on ESPN. Use Escape keyboard button or the Close button to close the carousel. At the time, Alabama governor George Wallace told legendary coach Bear Bryant that Alabama was not ready for a black quarterback, so Holloway decided to take his talents to Tennessee, becoming the first black quarterback in the SEC. 865-974-4351, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville Weve updated the security on the site. The Honda Classic: Featured Hole #15 (First Round) ESPN+ PGA TOUR. The whole thing was like a 'Field of Dreams' moment," Chesney said. "The Color Orange: The Condredge Holloway Story" (premiering Sunday, 8 p.m. There's nothing wrong with Manny Ramirez flying his barber to Boston. They are the proud parents of both of their children. Year should not be greater than current year. Please reset your password. To add a flower, click the Leave a Flower button. "I came to Tennessee, got an opportunity to play quarterback, and took full advantage of it," Holloway said. Verify and try again. In addition, he served as the associate athletics director for mens sports and student-athlete relations. NHL trade deadline: Winners and losers, including the Bruins, Devils and Bruce Boudreau? On Hooker said he showed the shirt to Holloway III before wearing it to While Holloway's stats were impressive, it was his unique style of play that drew fans like Chesney, earning the QB the nickname "The Artful Dodger. Quickly see who the memorial is for and when they lived and died and where they are buried. That's the story of Condredge Holloway, a star quarterback at the University of Tennessee from 1971-74 and the first starting African-American quarterback in the Southeastern Conference. and Masters degree from Alabama A&M University. Resend Activation Email, Please check the I'm not a robot checkbox, If you want to be a Photo Volunteer you must enter a ZIP Code or select your location on the map. Live. A white dove release will conclude the service. Holloway still holds Tennessees record for longest hitting streak at 27 games. Ranked second on the team in at-bats (127), hits (41), runs (31, tied), home runs (5) and RBIs (27). I even wore his jersey for a school picture. Search above to list available cemeteries. WebCondredge Holloway, one of the most exciting quarterbacks ever to play in the Southeastern Conference, dazzled Tennessee fans from 1972 through 1974 with his Houdini-like escapes from tackles and ability to make the big play. Use without license or authorization is expressly prohibited. ", TMQ unleashes America's original all-haiku NFL predictions. She started her successes working at Marshall Space Flight Center NASA in Huntsville, Alabama, with Dr. Wernher Von Braun, who was one of the most important rocket developers and champions of space exploration in the 20thCentury Dorothy began her career in Huntsville, AL leading her to Knoxville, TN, Charlotte, NC, and Seattle, WA. Do you have a blog? And for his family, Holloway was born to parents, Condredge Holloway, Sr., and Join our linker program. In 1975 he began a career of 13 seasons in the Canadian Football League, passing for more than 25,000 yards in a career that took him to Ottawa, Toronto, and British Columbia. January 9, 2023 9:17 am ET. Page 2 selects the second class of the Preseason Hall of Fame. He used his muscles for his mission. WebCondredge Holloways daughter Jasmine is the oldest child, who is believed to be in her 30s. Learn About The Family Of Former Tennessee OB Daughter JasmineHolloway https://t.co/LCDcbZcmcd Nida Rana (@NidaRan01449518) July 25, 2022, Who Is Courtney Haralson, the Wife of Condredge Holloway? Junior shortstop played in 42 of UT's 44 games and earned All-SEC Eastern Division Team honors as the Vols posted a 29-15 (10-7 SEC) record. Chesney had the opportunity to work with his boyhood idol during the making of his first documentary film, "Boys of Fall." Are you sure that you want to report this flower to administrators as offensive or abusive? There was a problem getting your location. and Master degrees from Alabama A&M University. You can always change this later in your Account settings. Learn About The Family Of Former Tennessee OB Daughter JasmineHolloway https://t.co/LCDcbZcmcd. Weather Service confirms tornado with two tracks in Jackson County, Lady Trojans, Bucks win state championships, Montgomery Motor Speedway to hold 59th annual Alabama 200. Failed to report flower. He also played for Bill Battles coaching staff and was the Southeastern Conferences first black quarterback. His mother, Dorothy, was hired to work at the Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville in 1962, becoming NASA's first Black employee. "I didn't have a grandfather who said, 'Why do you like this guy?' Grandchildren; Jasmine Holloway of Canada, Bradley Holloway DeVore, Lindsay Holloway DeVore, and Condredge Holloway III, all of Knoxville, TN. "The Color Orange: The Condredge Holloway Story" (premiering Sunday, 8 p.m. Thanks for your help! Holloway was born to his parents, Condredge Holloway, Sr. and Dorothy Holloway, and became the first member of his family. The Southern.Life is a publication of Emerson Parker Press, which is owned and operated by Jim Harris and his wife, Marian. Additionally, he started his athletic career at Lee High School in Huntsville, Alabama, where he was a gifted quarterback. (09/7/10), Andy Roddick loves using Twitter to get his message out. Whats Cooking in Your Kitchen Today? WebFull name is Condredge Holloway Jr. Born Jan. 25, 1954, in Huntsville, Alabama; Majored in Business Administration, but later returned to UT and completed a degree in Liberal Arts in 1991. Holloway was nicknamed the artful dodger for his ability to both scramble and pass successfully. Remove advertising from a memorial by sponsoring it for just $5. Jasmine Holloway, who is believed to be in her 30s at this point, is the eldest child and is the product of Condredge Holloway. She lived life to the fullest, never forgoing an opportunity to laugh and dance. For the second straight season, he was Tennessee's third-leading hitter, batting .331 (ninth-best in the SEC) with a team-high 142 at-bats. Continuing with this request will add an alert to the cemetery page and any new volunteers will have the opportunity to fulfill your request. I found on Findagrave.com. Former Tennessee player 7 jersey when recalling what it was like to film with Holloway on the field of Neyland Stadium. Add to your scrapbook. During his three years as the Vols signal caller, he guided UT to a 25-9-2 record and amassed 4,068 yards as both a passer and a runner. 9. Copyright 2000-2023 Sports Reference LLC. In a similar vein, he continues to hold the record for the longest hitting streak in the state of Tennessee, which currently stands at a line of 27 games. Find out more. (09/3/10), There's nothing wrong with Manny Ramirez flying his barber to Boston. HomeLeaguesSeasonsTeamsPlayersCoachesDraftsAwardsLeaderboards. Majored in Business Administration, but later returned to UT and completed a degree in Liberal Arts in 1991. Sorry! Like many kids growing up in East Tennessee, Chesney bleeds Tennessee orange. There is no bigger fan of the Volunteers than Chesney. The use of software that blocks ads hinders our ability to serve you the content you came here to enjoy. He also had a successful career as a baseball player, which led to the Montreal Expos selecting him with the fourth overall pick in the 1971 Major League Baseball Draft. Some school's results have been altered by retroactive NCAA penalties. The couple has two adorably cute children named Jasmine Holloway and Condredge Holloway III. Copyright 2022 WAFF. Despite the fact that he was born into slavery in 1865, Holloways paternal grandfather was eventually set free when he was a child. Holloway, who is the associate athletic director for player relations at the University of Tennessee, was overjoyed when he found out that Battle would succeed someone else as the director of athletics at the University of Alabama in 2013. The way to a persons heart is through their [Read More] about Whats Cooking in Your Kitchen Today? Question, Comment, Feedback, or Correction? Please enter your email and password to sign in. You are nearing the transfer limit for memorials managed by Find a Grave. What Happened To Racer Kurt Busch? He led Tennessee to three bowl games, posting a 25-9 and 2 record during his years as a starter. Food City Volunteer of the Game Nomination, University of Tennessee Athletics Hall of Fame. He has the aptitude. Condredge's grandfather on his father's side was born a slave, but was emancipated as a child in