Witnesses, who also changed the Bible around to fit what they wanted to say, they created the NWT Bible. Translation Comparison - 1 Corinthians 6:9-10. No. He translated from the original languages. The Sabbath day is Saturday. (Dis)Honorable Mention: Two translations that most Christians know to avoid but should still be mentioned are the New World Translation (NWT), which was commissioned by the Jehovahs Witness cult and the Readers Digest Bible, which cuts out about 55% of the Old Testament and another 25% of the New Testament (including Revelation 22:19, which says, if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book). There are words in every language that does and does not exist in another language. They would just avoid the passages that had those words in them. I just read your comments on the message bible and I agree that it is dangerous for Christians who are not seasoned in the word. 11 Give us this day our daily bread. Those who use and abuse each other, use and abuse sex, use and abuse the earth and everything in it, don't qualify as citizens in God's kingdom. Favorites and Bookmarks for your favorite bible verses. same sex, homosexuality, trey pearson, everyday sunday, christian rock, love is love, back to school, anxiety, fear, college, worry, peace, Burning Scripture with Passion: A Review of The Psalms (The Passion Translation). [2], According to the Introduction to the New Testament of The Message, its "contemporary idiom keeps the language of the Message (Bible) current and fresh and understandable". Queen Elizabeth II: A Role Model For Humanity, The Dangers of the Pan-sexual Agenda Part 1: What is Pan-sexuality. Paraphrase is often written by a single author who translates the Bible in their own words, sometimes not even using the original biblical languages as a foundation. Further the Message adds to the text (something forbidden by scripture) there is nothing in there speaking about any of Gods attributes at the end to the prayer, and I have no idea where he got that Yes. However, the Holy Spirit has still moved newcomers to the congregation to hear the necessary elements of the Sword of Truth in their message, that leads them to surrender to His Divine Will. He was speaking about HIS physical attributes. In this article, we will discuss why it may be dangerous for ones understanding of the Christian faith and message. Instead, they must be kind and gentle and not love money. Refusing to know God, they soon didn't know how to be human either women didn't know how to be women, men didn't know how to be men. Firstly, ALL Bibles such as NKJV, NIV etc are paraphrasing. It's a book of faith, written over four centuries by people with very different viewpoints and agendas. Rooted in his "translation" philosophy, Peterson has produced a "Message" which is nothing more than a commentary published as a translation. The Message completely changes the meaning of the scriptures, for instance there is no mention of the holiness of the name of God. He goes so far as to say it's a form of sacrilege to speak of God in language that is "inflated into balloons of abstraction or diffused into the insubstantiality of lacey gossamer." I think we judge too harshly. The result is a strongly sectarian translation that no longer counts as Scripture; by masquerading as a Bible it threatens to bind entire churches in thrall to a false god. The Passion Translation is even promoted by churches that share Simmons own theology (for example removing rebuking and correcting from 2 Timothy 4:2). He has spent time on both the far Left and Far Right side of the political spectrum and lives in Canada. IE. In reality, the Lord doesn't need men to make His words more "readable." The Spirit is more than capable of bringing an understanding to anyone as the Lord wills and as we devote ourselves to study of it. Power . I dont need a thing. Message Bible is completely an offline bible without requiring internet connection to study the scriptures. The King James Version 9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Faith I am not alone. It is an accurate paraphrasing of the bible rather than a. 2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. We are going to keep the old Bible for several compelling reasons. There is a tool for every job. ", The ESV reads: "For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. How many times have learned preachers over a couple of centuries, with over 32,000 denominations of The Way (the early name of Christianity in the days of the Early Church), read from Scripture and then got the context wrong in the rest of their message somewhere else? When studying the Word of God, one needs an authentic representation of the original autographs (the original manuscript of each of the 66 books of the Bible) while avoiding sources that would distort the original message from God. Clean Up Your Email. About ten people in total complained about me that week. 10 your kingdom come, I replied that as part of the body of Christ, she was responsible along with everyone else for ensuring that an authentic Bible gets used and not a book that misrepresents Gods word. Even the most liberal seminary would fail a student who turned in an essay full of Message quotes (at least I hope they would). 2. Not to lower ourselves to the call of whatever is popular at the moment. 7. It's no wonder the Bible consistently warns against it. Jesus saying about having a generous eye probably refers to Gods blessing on those who are generous with their resources and time. Help keep The Christian Post free for everyone by making a one-time donation today. Schedule II: Drugs with some medically acceptable uses, but with high potential for abuse and/or addiction. Since you have forgotten the law of your God, I also will forget your children. Jews believed the temple in Jerusalem was the only proper place to worship God. Would love to hear more. Instead, he became way too cute with words in general, taking away from the clarity of the original and even introducing some foreign concepts. I know the author of it got parts of the Bible so right it blows your mind, but there are entire sections where he is dead wrong and injects false doctrine into it. God's Spirit brooded like a bird above the watery abyss. The Message is not only a poor paraphrase, but it is, in fact,heretical. Preach in the full expression of the Holy Spiritwith wisdom and patience as you instruct and teach the people. Jesus referred to sinners as a brood of vipers to remind people that sin can be deceptive and hard to recognize, and that they should strive for righteousness if they want to avoid Gods punishment. 3) The Living Bible (TLB) - First published in 1971, The Living Bible is another paraphrase translation by sole translator, Kenneth Taylor. Psalm 119, the longest chapter in the Bible, extols the Word of God. He guides me along the right paths Did the Bible copy other religious myths, legends, and traditions? Contemporary English Version (CEV): It is true that anyone who desires to be a church official wants to be something worthwhile. The CEV uses an even more simplified version of English than the GNT. (Eph. It's dangerous to build an opinion of the Bible through the lens of someone else's beliefs. I admit it can be useful in bringing clarity to certain passages, but one must learn to work through the actual scriptures, which takes effort, dedication and the guidance of the Holy Spirit. We can get a glimpse of the strengths and weaknesses of The Message by . Isaiah 5:13. Isaiah was born in 760 B.C. Confess to God. On this Wikipedia the language links are at the top of the page across from the article title. The men who spied out Canaan had returned to Israel's camp and reported that the Promised Land had giants. Through Jesus Christ, we have been freed from the bondage of sin and death. Photo Credit: Unsplash/Tom Morel Read more "Eugene H. Peterson, 85, Scholar Turned Homespun Pastor, Dies". One academic I read said it this way, Peterson has confused the mission of a Bible translator with the mission of the Holy Spirit., Absolutely my spirit not going well with it n yes. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! A church that uses the Message, is a church that has let culture invade the Kingdom. When he stated beauty, again, that is a synonym of glory. when you walk at my side. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. I just recently found your article that was written in 2017 as I was searching for errors in the Message. Also Amen means something different in every denomination. God bless. Some scholars, like Michael J. Gorman, consider some of Peterson's idiomatic renderings unconventional. That is abhorrent. You are really understanding mans word, not Gods by using this commentary/paraphrase. hallowed be your name, This mans interpretation is not always correct, nor is it always what the Spirit wants YOU to get from it. To be fair, a more accurate comparison might be to the Jehovas Youre ablaze in beauty! 1. Not the way man tryed n break it down not like this A confused sheep relies more readily on the institution for support. Translation is from one language to another. Of course, I could cite hundreds of brilliant renderings in The Message, and sometimes, when preaching, I'll cite one of them, since it powerfully drills home the point. Amen. This is clearly what Eugene Peterson is looking at, since otherwise the prayer should end after deliver us from evil, or as the paraphrase puts it (I hesitate to call it a paraphrase, since a true paraphrase keeps the original thought intact), keep us safe from ourselves and the devil. I would point out that theres a huge difference between deliverance and keeping safe. for you are with me; One need only look at how the cultural mindset of those who use the Message tends towards a theologically liberal or completely postmodern way of looking at things. And so I tell you, Peter: you are a rock, and on this rock foundation I will build my church, and not even death will ever be able to overcome it. Gmail's spam filters can pick up on grammar and spelling mistakes. 2 He makes me lie down in green pastures, Taylors bias also leads to omitting text in key passages that do not fit his Arminian worldview, such as his deceptive repackaging of Acts 4:27-28, Acts 13:48, and Romans 8:28-29. Taylors lack of understanding of Hebrew and Greek and absent use of the original manuscripts has led to disingenuous passages and verses such as his translation of John 12:15. Following is the first 2 of 9 points that demonstrate why Peterson's bible is not a translation or even a paraphrase. We have to read them for what they say, not for what we want them to say. And whenever I see people carrying The Messageinto church services, I groan, since I assume that, for those people, it istheir Bible. But use it with caution: It is, by design, a very free paraphrase. " MARGARET FEINBERG, AUTHOR OF FIGHT BACK WITH JOY "The Message is original and refreshing. Yes. Schedule I: Drugs with no current medical use with high potential for abuse and/or addiction. Ken is currently working on a Bible app (Wave Parallel Bible) with a team of scholars which links words and phrases from nine major Bible translations, including The Message. Learn why this "gospel lite" illusion is such a seductive, powerful delusion for Christians and how you can avoid it in your walk of faith. Bible translations will vary between these three categories and it is important to know which translation falls into which category, along with other attributes that will make the translation either a faithful representation of the original, infallible, and inerrant Word of God or a misleading book posing as a Bible. 11 Give us our food again today, as usual, This displays The Messageat its worst, and it's another reminder as to why we should never use it as our primary Bible. The Message Bible is a paraphrase version of the Bible. Death Valley, The Message Bible is an English-language translation of the Christian scriptures compiled by Eugene Peterson and published in segments from 1993 to 2002. makes me feel secure. Of course, here in America, the Bible has, until recently, been a . You're going to be like sheep running through a wolf pack, so don't call attention to yourselves.